In 2011, CXC implemented an SBA policy that outlines the way SBAs should be conducted. The following are key components of the policy:
- Group/team work of SBA should be encouraged and utilized where appropriate.
- Students doing more than one subject in a cognate group (for example, the Sciences) should submit one SBA per cognate group.
- Each SBA across levels should be of consistent size. Word count should not exceed 1000 for CSEC and 1500 for CAPE subjects.
- The term School-Based Assessment replaces other terms used at various levels for internal assessment.
- The use of portfolios, observations, learning journals, presentations, observations, peer evaluations and research assignments in the SBA should be endorsed and implemented.
- Students should be allowed to submit SBA electronically.
- SBAs for Mathematics and English will take effect from the revision of those syllabuses (Teaching begins in September 2016 and first examination in 2018).
- A thematic approach should be employed in the development of SBAs.
Click here to access the CSEC SBA Do’s and Don’ts Manual and SBA Manual for Principals
Drug abuse has been a major problem in my community. Both young and old are engaged in this activity. Most individuals are attracted to drugs because of various reasons. The commonly used drugs are: cigarette, marijuana (ganja) cocaine, tobacco and alcohol. It has been revealed that drugs that are consumed by the body do not contribute positively to one’s intellectual self. It causes problem such as memory loss and weight loss. It also causes disease for example lung cancer. This research on drug abuse will give you a full description of the average people who are drug addicts and the major effects of them and ways to alleviate the problem in the community of Santa Cruz.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
What are the causes, effects and possible solution to the problem of drug abuse in the community of Santa Cruz?
1. What are the causes of drug abuse?
2. What are the effects of drug abuse in the community?
3. What are the possible solutions of drug abuse in my community?
METHOD OF INVESTIGATION
This is a survey being carried out in my community to determine what accounts for the high level of drug abuse among young people in the community of Santa Cruz. How does it affect the community and what can be done to alleviate the problem. This study is being conducted as an assignment for a Social studies Methodology course I am currently pursuing.
You are advised to answer the following questions honestly and truthfully. Since you do not have to write your name, no one will ever know who answered in a particular way. Remember this is not a test. There are no right or wrong answers. Most of the questions can be answered with a tick in the circle like this ( ). Specific instructions are given where necessary.
INSTRUMENT USED TO COLLECT DATA